Monday, July 28, 2008

IT'S A GIRL!!

Since it's been a while since we've posted, Eric let me write a post. I figured the title was a continuation from "she's in labor" and that's all everyone talks about.
I've learned the word pitzele recently. I mean I knew what it meant just I hear that word almost as much as "Mommy he hit me". Walking down the street with her is like what Brad Pitt must feel like. Constant attention. See, being from the South people don't tell you exactly what they think. They say things like "Bless your heart" and things like that. But, here what would be interpreted in America as a rude New Yorker, is here a typical Israeli. A typical conversation with a complete stranger goes like this: (mind you she's now a little over 6 lbs.) I'll translate
Them : OOh look at the pitzele, so little (fyi they never say cute). How old is she?
Me: (picture screaming baby, smelling like a yougart store after a 2 day blackout, with 2 kids either missing or acting like they are on Gladiator) X weeks.
Them: Wow! how much did she weigh at birth?
Me: 2.5 kg (smiling)
Them: (totally oblivious to what's going on ) Oh so she must have been early. How early was she?
Me: 3 weeks
(Now the conversation depends on whether they knew when I moved here, but are still complete strangers)
Them: And they let you fly? Did you .... (fill in the blank: know how dangerous that was , want to give birth on the plane, want to give birth 3 weeks early?
Me: Slicha, ani lo mideberet ivrit. (Works like a charm everytime)
Then I walk away and leave them totally confused.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, not being a prejudice Bubbie, she is cute, even if she is a little pitzele! We never had one that small before and she is just the cutest littlest granddaughter I have!
Love,
The Unprejudice Bubbie

renee said...

I miss you! I totally heard you speaking in that post.
She looks like a Bauer, very cute!

Renee