Wednesday, June 4, 2008

New School

Since I've started this blog after I've already moved, I'm going to have to go to the not so way back machine to fill in on some of the fun things we've gone through.

So to start with one of the more fun things, is SL's first day in school which was yesterday (Tuesday). It might seem mundane or boring to most people, but I'm sure at least my mom is interested.

Since he knows zero Hebrew, and the school is staff knows pretty much no English (with the exception of one of the gan morahs) we felt like we were sort of throwing him to the sharks. Here, sit in a class room where you will have no idea what they are saying to you, they wouldn't understand you either, oh yeah, and try not to disrupt either. Oh and did I mention that this is my son who takes after me, and can barely sit still in a regular class!

To put it mildly, we were a bit concerned.

However the Mifakayach (which sounds bad, but is kind of like the principal) was very understanding, and suggested he just stay for about 2 hours the first day. We were thinking, that it's not a bad idea, so let's go for it.

Fast forward two hours later...

I pick him up, and he looked fine, he wasn't sent out or anything, so it was already looking good! I spoke to his Rebbe, and he said he was great in the class. It turned out there are about 6 English speaking kids in his class, so I think they helped him out a bit. When we left, and I asked him how it was and if he wanted to go back tomorrow, he said yes! So it's starting to look good!

SL on his first day at school


For tomorrow we'll see how SL did on his extended day (till 12) and AY did on his first day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your right about your mom being interested. I really would love to talk with him and find out from him how his day went. Maybe he can add some comments, too. Anyway, we miss you all and hope that Aharon Yonah had a great first day,too.
Miss you all,
Love,
Mommy

Anonymous said...

What about AY ? Azriel misses him, still considers him his best friend. Good luck guys. Keep the posts coming. Maybe we'll join you guys in a few years.

Eliezer said...

Hey anonymous, afraid someone will find out who you are!

Tell him that AY misses him as well. Perhaps we can set up a playdate when you guys come out here.

And don't think your mom slipped me a 20 to invite you guys either!

the sabra said...

oh goodness i'm so eager n anxious to read how e/t goes. it's so unreal-makin aliyah, no?

Eliezer said...

Sabra, it is quiet unreal, though through all the worldwind of things going on, you don't really get to feel the amazingness of it until later on - I hope, we're still a little numb from all that went on.

the sabra said...

I can't wait.

the sabra said...

...but I guess I'll have to.