Friday, August 29, 2008

Betsy

Someone just reminded me about my old car - Betsy.

Ahh how I miss her.

She was great, got me all the way through Yeshiva to my wedding. Though she was anything but graceful.

She had what would be politley called character! She had a sagging roof that I had to staple up so it wouldn't take my yameka off when I had to turn my head.

She had things sticking out of the headrest that my wife still complains about her injury in my car on one of our dates (I think it barely broke her skin).

She even had tzoraas.

Not to mention at some point the passanger door had issues opening.

So it came as a huge surprise when one morning my parents got woken up when the police came to the door at around 7am asking if we were missing a car.

My mother saw my fathers car, saw hers, and replied, not that I'm aware of, have you found one?

So he said that they found an 88 Celebrity idling in front of the nearby school and was wondering if we wanted it back.

Figuring it still did get me to yeshiva my father and I drove over there (all of 3 blocks away) to pick it up. It was kind of surreal, as it was way to early in the morning for us, and the police even agreed with us in our perplexedness as to why would someone steal the car.

In the end the only damage was an ashtray filled with change (about $4), and part of the ignition broken off.

On the bright side, it did add an extra bit of character, as the police officer showed me how to "hotwire" my car with the screwdriver the theives left me (whoo hoo new screwdriver!), as they broke the part of the ignition the key goes into.

(After a bit, I got better at it and was able to start it without the screwdriver).

4 comments:

Rafi G. said...

1. nice of the policemen to teach you how to hotwire a car!

2. you probably profited from the theft of Betsy. Sounds like the screwdriver was worth more than whatever they took!

Eliezer said...

You know, since they only left me an old rusty screwdriver, I would have to disagree, however, the story alone was worth the theft. I mean who would've stolen that car in their right mind!

Parsha_mom said...

just for clarification. not only did the piece of rubber sticking out from the edging break skin. but, i have a scar! yet, i married him anyway. maybe it was b/c he took me to a candy store afterwards!

Eliezer said...

We should change eishes chayil in our house to deracheha darchei sucariyah