Thursday, August 14, 2008

Getting back what you gave them

In my family we used to be OK with the ideas of mortality and possessions. Well, at least my sister and I were, we never really asked how our parents felt about it.

What you ask is the association of mortality and possessions?

Well, picture this, Shabbos afternoon, during the seudah, I say to my sister:

"Naomi, I call the dinning room table!"

She replies, "OK, but I get the breakfront"

"Fine, but I get the wine chest"

"Wait, that's not fair, you're getting Bubbie's dinning room table, you can't get the wine chest as well - that was hers!"

"Alright, fine, you get the wine chest, but I get couch!"

And this would continue for a few more minutes. Now like I said we never asked how our parents felt about this (they can chime in in the comments if they like), but we were OK with it. I mean, death is an eventuality that we were mature enough to handle (at about 13 or so) and with that comes the divvying up of possessions.

So now flash forward some 18 years, and we're hanging up some pictures on the wall of our new place. Sarah is sitting in her chair directing me as to where the pictures should go, and SL is sitting on the couch holding and admiring one of the hanging things we have, and says:

"Mommy, when you die chas v'shalom, can I have this?"

Sarah was a bit flustered, not sure how to respond, while I with my years of going through the same conversations replied, "SL, just wait till that happens, then we can discuss it".

Nothing like pushing off the inevitable!

7 comments:

Neal Bauer said...

Hahaha... I appreciate that now that I have a lot of your stuff, hehehe. Anyway, this is quite apropos because we had Naomi & Yehuda & the twins over for dinner last night & ER was admiring one of Sara's stuffed animals (from when she was 2... that's why it's still around) and said "Sara, when you die chas v'shalom , can I have this?" Out of the mouthes of babes... creepy they were thinking the same thing...

Anonymous said...

I can't help but laugh. Who got daddy'd motorcycle??
Mommy

Anonymous said...

Soory - I meant to write - who got Daddy's motorcycle??
Mooy

Eliezer said...

Neal - that is quite a coincidence, and the timing and all.

Mom - The motorcycle was all mine!

the sabra said...

I'm sorry but that is just STRANGE. To discuss that in front of your parents like that. Heck to discuss that at all!

Someone please tell me you agree with me.
Uh someone? Someone?? (Hmm does Someone read ur blog?)

Eliezer said...

sabra - In our family, we like to be open about things like that. It has acctually helped me in dealing with actual tragic events, in asmuch as I am able to easily go on, since we are alrady quite aware of our mortality.

And not that many many people read my blog. My mother, rafi, and occasioanlly my brother.

the sabra said...

Yeh, I got that. (Er it's ok that I'm here, ja?)

Hey I never said it's WRONG. Just STRANGE.
I'm glad that it helped you out--"Makdim Refuah L'Makah" I guess.