Sunday, August 10, 2008

The 9 Days

This past Wednesday I had a first.




It was the first time I attended a siyum during the nine days and got to eat meat!

It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.

The siyum though was for my downstairs neighbors son. He had just completed Shas mishnayos - for the second time. Oh yeah, and he hasn't even started yeshivah ketana (or high school) yet.

When his father spoke, he mentioned how all he did was just set a goal for himself, and then hit it. Even though we are just off of the 9 days, and we're supposed to be working on our sinas chinam, and how jealousy is one of the root causes of that. I can say that I am jealous of him, and how he was able to stick with his goal, and finally acheive it.

I believe this kind of jealousy is ok.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to the shir I went to this afternoon, jealousy is not good, no matter what. You can however, set goals for yourself to try and better yourself. This way, you are not letting the jealousy get to you, but you are working to better yourself, while still accepting and acknowledging that this is the best that you can do (have, learn, etc.), at this moment. You can do it too if you set your mind to it. Remember the story "The Little Engine That Could" - if you think you can do it and set your mind to it, you can do it! I always told you that you could do anything you set your mind to.
Love,
Mommy

Rafi G. said...

kinas sofrim tarbeh chochma is exactly what you described in your post!

Eliezer said...

Mom - Thanks for the encouragement

Rafi - That means that applies not only to the Torah that one may have, but even for the characteristics and traits one acquires that are helpful for learning.
Interesting