Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Where's the Beef?

It's 20:30 (or 8:30 pm for you Americans), and Sarah and I want a burger. Ok, no problem, we shlepped along a brand new grill fromthe US. It's a nice one too. It's got a warming rack, and a nice little burner on the side so I can cook stuff. Like noodles or something. That goes good with meat right? I even paid some money to get a gas tank installed, I mean it's kind of hard to grill with out gas - or so I'm told.

Anyway, I figure, I live in Israel, the land of the Jews, the land of milk & honey, the land where they have completely kosher stores called Chocolate land and Candy Land. Surely I can run out to the local grocey and pick up some pre-made burgers or at least some ground beef.

So I run out to the grocery. I first look through the fresh meat case. Ummm. Nope, lots of chicken, I mean tons of chicken. Cutlets, shnitzel (thin cutlets), pieces, livers, even hearts. They have chicken hearts! But no meat.

Okay, off to the frozen meat section. First I get excited, a whole array of prepackaged meat stuff. But dissappointment settles in when I realize it's just veggie stuff. Okay next row - which when I mean row, I'm talking about a good 30 feet of frozen goods - what do I see, but more chicken! I mean I like chicken, but I want some meat - particularly the ground up kind that I can mold into a nice delicious burger, with a special bland of spices mixed in, and some BBQ sauce on top grilling in the open night air. Ahhhh. But I digress, I'm losing focus. Where's the beef!

Shuffling through the frozen chicken, I find the meat. But alas it's just hunks of meat. I mean I'm surprised as I haven't really seen this kind of stuff in the states. But no ground beef! I mean give me something. Even a small package of 1/2 a pound would do. I could make a burger out of that. But nothing!

I leave the store dejected. I wander around feeling down that I can't bring home the beef. What am I to do :(

I finally drag myself over to Grill Burger where I order up two burgers and sadly drive home with my find. I mean I'm a guy, I'm supposed to be killing my cow throwing it on the grill and calling it a dinner. Instead I have to resort to buying burgers, I mean who does that nowadays!

Well, If there's anything this outing has taught me, it's that I have to find myself a good butcher in this town of mine. And one that can grind me up some beef.

6 comments:

Rafi G. said...

it is times like this when my "hobby" comes in handy....

Eliezer said...

Perhaps I can purchase my own cow and bring it on over to you to do the voodoo that you do?

Rafi G. said...

lol

the sabra said...

what's ur hobby, rafi?

Eliezer said...

He's a shochet

the sabra said...

Figured but I never saw him discuss it so I was surprised. Then again, I aint no buki on his blog.